We cater to the needs of First / Second Semester Students
Courses offered by the department
- Engineering Chemistry (17CHE12/22) for First year B.E. students (All branches)- started in 1979.
- Department of Chemsitry is recognized as a Research Centre in 2010 to pursue Ph.D/M.Sc. (Engg.) by research programs as per VTU letter No: VTU/Aca/2009-10/A-9/5839 dated 25.08.2010.
After completing this course students will be able to:
- Recognise the importance of electrochemical cells. Calculate the cell potential using Nernst equation. Construction and working of different reference electrodes and their applications.
- Understand the physical make up of batteries, different battery characteristics, electrochemical reactions and their applications in different chemical and industrial process.
- Learn about the chemical reactions involved in corrosion and the various parameters affecting the rate of corrosion. Describe various forms of corrosion on the basis of electrochemical principles. The different preventive measures to control corrosion.
- Learn about the technological importance of metal finishing; describe various metal finishing processes used in industry and their applications.
- Learn about different types of fuels and their characteristics, their efficiency and their potential to pollute the environment.
- Construction and working of solar cells and their importance as an alternate source of energy.
- Learn about the classification of polymers, different methods of synthesis and their applications in various engineering purposes.
- Learn about different sources of impurities of water, boiler troubles with disadvantages and prevention. Determination of various water quality parameters, and different purification processes.
- Learn about nanomaterials and their properties, nanocrystals, fullerenes, nano tubes, nanorods, and different processes of preparing nanomaterials.