About the Department
Automobile Engineering is one of the core engineering departments of B.L.D.E.A’s College of Engineering & Technology. This department started in the year 1986, offers 4-year B.E program in Automobile Engineering under the Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belgaum. The sanctioned annual intake capacity is 30.
The objective of this undergraduate program is to prepare technically competent world class Automobile engineers for the industry and academia. Some of the important subjects taught during the course are Auto chassis, Automobile Transmission, Auto Electrical & Electronics, Vehicle Dynamics, Fuels & Combustion, Vehicle Transport Management, Automobile Engineering Drawing in addition to Mechanical Engineering subjects like Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulics Machinery, Metallurgy & Material Science, Thermodynamics, and Manufacturing Process etc. Apart from core subjects, elective subjects such as Hybrid Vehicles, FEM, Nano-Technology, and Experimental Stress Analysis are also offered.
The Automobile Engineering Department is led by a dynamic team with Ph.D and PG qualifications in the field of Automobile and Machine Design, and Alternate fuels who impart state–of–the-art technological education relevant to the industry. The average teaching experience of the department faculty is 18 years.
Among other facilities, the Department has a range of service station equipment such as computerized Engine Analyzer, Wheel Balancing Machine, Computerized Wheel Aligner, Exhaust Gas Analyzer, reconditioning machinery and advanced equipment like computerized I.C. Engine Test Rig. An elaborate CAD Engineering Laboratory has all the necessary hardware and software for design and analysis. Students will undergo practical sessions in these dedicated laboratories during the program and will get chance to undergo short term training in related industries
The students of the department have bagged many University ranks and won the gold medals. Ours is the only department bagging rank every year in the college. Final year success rate of students is always 100%. Department is conducting study tour every year to help the students to know latest developments in the field of Automobile Engineering. Students of the department participated in international & national project exhibition & paper presentation & won many prizes.
Alumni’s of the department are working in well known organization within India & other countries, to mention few TATA motors, General motors, Mahindra & Mahindra, Automotive research association of India, BOSCH,VOLVO Motors , Infosys , HP , Boeing Germany & London, NASA & other MNC’s.
Alumni’s of the department frequently visit the department to share their experience with the students & staff. This enriches department in particular & student in particular.
The department further encourages professional activity of the staff and students through the SAE INDIA Collegiate Club and the Technical Association wing of the department christened as AAE (Association of Automobile Engineers). These forums provide the platform for the students for enriching the knowledge in the field and also to have an exposure to the latest developments.
With the opening up of R&D and manufacturing plants by global players in various parts of the country and the increase in demand for automotive experts in the domestic and international markets, graduates of automobile engineering have a bright future ahead.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES(PEOs)
- To provide Automobile students with a solid foundation in the mathematical, scientific and engineering fundamentals necessary to formulate, solve and analyze Automobile engineering problems and to prepare them for higher studies.
- To prepare students to succeed in entry-level engineering positions within the core Automobile and allied firms in regional, national, or international industries and with government agencies.
- To train students with good scientific and engineering breadth so as to comprehend, analyze, design and create novel Automobile products and provide solution for the real life problems.
- To inculcate in students, professional and ethical attitude, effective communication skills, teamwork skills, multidisciplinary approach, ability to relate engineering issues to broader social context and lifelong learning needed for a successful carrier.
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (POs)
Automobile Engineering Graduates will have:
- A strong foundation in core Automobile Engineering subjects, both theoretical and applied concepts.
- An ability to apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering to real-world problems.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, interpret and analyze data, and report results.
- An ability to design an automobile/mechanical system or a thermal system or a process that meets desired specifications and requirements.
- An ability to function on engineering and science laboratory teams, as well as on multidisciplinary design teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve automobile/mechanical engineering problems.
- An understanding of their professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- The confidence to apply engineering solutions in global and societal contexts.
- Capability to self-educate and clearly understand the value of life-long learning.
- An understanding of the impact of Automobile engineering on society and demonstrate awareness of contemporary issues.
- Familiarity with modern engineering software tools and equipment to analyze automobile engineering problems.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
- Automobile Engineering graduates will be able to provide feasible solutions to problems of Automotive industry.
- Automobile Engineering graduates will be able to use modern CAE tools to Design and develop Automotive systems.
- Automobile engineering graduates will be able to estimate the servicing and overhauling cost and troubleshoot automobile sub-components and assembly.